Painful gout? 5 ways to lower uric acid in the blood, and overcome hyperuricemia
Uric acid: tips for lowering blood levels & nbsp | & nbsp Image source: & nbspiStock Images
the main points
- The waste product from the digestion of purine-rich food is called uric acid
- Increased levels of uric acid in the blood can harm the body
- Here are some ways to control uric acid levels
New Delhi: The waste product from the digestion of purine-rich food is called uric acid. However, sometimes, inefficient digestion of the breath can lead to increased levels of uric acid in the blood which can be harmful to the body.
A condition characterized by an excess of uric acid in the blood is called hyperuricemia. Some of the health complications that may arise from hyperuricemia include gout, kidney disease, diabetes, and cardiovascular problems.
Various reasons, such as diet, lifestyle, weights, etc., can put you at risk of developing hyperuricemia, however, this condition can be managed through appropriate measures.
Tips for lowering uric acid levels
Here are some of the ways you can control uric acid levels:
- Do not eat sugar: Who does not like healthy sweets? However, if you are concerned about your uric acid levels, you may want to stay away from sugar. High uric acid levels are most likely caused by the sugar content of processed foods, so it’s important to pay attention to the diet.
- Watch out for purines: These chemical compounds in food can put you at risk of developing gout. Foods such as sardines, beer, some types of meat, and others contain purines that can increase the levels of uric acid in the blood.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol: The disadvantages of drinking alcohol are well known but did you know that it can also cause an increase in uric acid levels? Therefore, it is recommended to limit or abstain from alcohol consumption altogether.
- Managing insulin levels: Did you know that studies have shown the harmful effect of high insulin levels on uric acid levels in the body? This correlation between insulin and uric acid levels is critical as it provides insight into the impact of chronic conditions such as type 2 diabetes on uric acid levels in the body. Aside from helping in better management of uric acid and blood sugar levels, it can also help people with diabetes.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Obesity or being overweight does not bode well for health. It can put the body at risk of developing cardiovascular complications, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. It is therefore essential to take care of your body weight and indulge in habits such as healthy eating, staying physically active, reducing processed foods, etc.
Disclaimer: The advice and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting any fitness program or making any changes to your diet.
Get the latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, yoga, fitness tips and more updates on Times Now